03 August 2015

Thriving with Gastroparesis

Gastroparesis is something I had never heard of before 2015. Although symptoms started a year ago, it took almost 6 months to convince the doctors that I wasn't bulimic, "overly stressed" or faking it. It took a potassium level of 2, vomiting blood and collapsing at a teaching appointment for people to realize I wasn't nuts. 

I have been pretty irresponsible with my condition. I've figured "well, calories just don't count!" So I'll eat what I want, whenI Want, and then just wait to puke. It turns out, that's really bad for your heart. Who knew?! (Answer: everyone.) 
I researched enough to know basic medicine behind this largely misunderstood condition. That was it.

Then I had that wake up call. I need to take my health more seriously. I guess I just didn't realize how serious this can be.

So I looked up some diet changes, lifestyle changes and treatment options and I dove in. Sorta.

The first phase, liquid diet + stress management + liquid vitamins + journaling

Phase 2, milk products, fro-yo and eggs as tolerated. And cream of wheat. + phase 1 + 20-30 minutes of walking everyday

Phase 3, phases 2 and 1 + up to 40mg fat and fiber daily. Basically no more fresh fruits or veggies, no cakes or ice creams. That makes me so sad. And once I get to this stage, no gluten.

Day 1 of the new diet: 7am I can do this. I got sports drinks, vitamin waters, and my one cheat, milk-based protein drinks (Atkins strawberry, if you're wondering). I'm ready for the day! Oh, don't forget my vitamins.
7:20: I have to leave in 10 minutes and my vitamin potion looks and smells like a liquified compost heap. And I have to drink this?
7:26: ... I'm stronger than these vitamins.... I can do this....
7:29:30: I literally have to walk out the door right now. Ready.. Go!!!

9 am: I. Am. So. Hungry!

12: this is it. This is how I'm going to die...

3: am I being dramatic? ... I don't know, but I should write out a will. (I want firecrackers put in my pockets if you decide to cremate me. The person who stays the longest at my funeral, gets my stuff. May the odds be ever in your favor.)

9pm: if I sleep, I won't care anymore about the hunger...

Day 2

I dreamed of food last night. It was delicious. So so delicious. 
Made it most of the day without feeling like dead. So I celebrated by eating an ice cream the size of my head. 

Oh yeah, so that's why I need to be on this diet.

Day 4
I ate like crap yesterday. No really. We had a big dinner. Buffalo Wild Wings were on the menu. And a chocolate cake that I would have been happy to face dive, like that one kid from Matilda. I definitely felt it today. Heart pain, regularly irregular heart beat, Charlie horses across my abdomen. Yeah. It felt lovely. 
Stuck to my diet today.

I even made my own chicken stock. It has some flavor. It's hot. This brings my heart joy. I'll try vegetable stock next!

I found this product online called "tummy drops." I've heard good things about them, so shamelessly, I called the company and asked for some samples so I could try them without investing a bunch of money if it didn't work or I hated it. The company was so kind and sent me some. So far, I really like them! They sent me three flavored, peppermint, cranberry/cinnamon and ginger. It really seems to help the abdominal pain and nausea. 

I'm hungry, but well hydrated. And my level of angry grumbling has decreased. Now I just snark in my head! 

So, I am collecting good juice recipes, and low fiber/low fat gluten free recipes. If you have any, send them my way! 

I have a goal: I want to do more than just live with Gastroparesis. I want to learn how to thrive. 


3 comments:

  1. Yay for tummy drops! Anything that makes you feel better is a friend of mine 😊 loved this post...keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for tummy drops! Anything that makes you feel better is a friend of mine 😊 loved this post...keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought my condition sucked. Hope you learn to deal with this.

    ReplyDelete