16 November 2012

فرح

Joy

There is so much going on right now. So many good, a few not so good, some sad and everything in between.

Grandpa died on September 18. Even amid all the heart ache, I can't believe the number of blessings that came from that.

On the 14th, I was working AMR 01 that day. It had been a relatively busy day. Eventually, we got toned to a psych patient, who was off his meds. Dispatch advised us that every time he's been transported before, he has been hobbled. Greeeeaaat...
Sometimes I have the ability to calm people down and somehow with this guy I worked magic I didn't possess and kept him calm the whole time. He was a doll with me.

As we dropped him off at the ER and we were walking in the door, I inwardly mocked the parking of Estes Park ambulance. Their one ambulance had managed to take up an entire ER bay. Impressive. New guy..... I thought.
Later as I walked from the patients' room, the 8 police officers that made up our motorcade offered their congratulations for having not gotten the crap kicked out of me.

I saw my favorite registration crew on, so off I went to chat with them. As I said my hellos and chatted, I noticed behind the desk was Grandma. And she looked terrified.
"Grandma, what are you doing here?" I asked.
"They brought your Grandfather in. They think he had a stroke." She said, voice shaking.

It was a challenging time. But still we were blessed.
  • my supervisors were not only kind, but incredibly supportive. checking in on me, providing caffeine and meals for the family. It was incredible.
  • The Hospital staff knew me, and so my family was treated with the utmost respect.
  • The nursing staff was great about keeping me informed and tolerated my questions and micromanaging their medicine.
  • My partner would check on me, everytime he was at the hospital
  • Marshall, Katie and Olivia came to visit us. And I got to see Olivia walk. and then Mom and Dad walking like Olivia. My abs still hurt from the laughter.
  • I got to use my family transport on Grandpa. That meant one less bill for Grandma
  • I got to be the one to transport Grandpa.
  • I got to be reconnected with family. The map on the family tree is challenging to follow, but their family.
  • Usually it was Grandma and I that stayed at night. During the day, everyone else was there. Grandma always had his Right hand, and I always got his left hand at night. I'm so grateful for those nights. I'm so grateful that while Grandma slept, when everyone else went home, I got to have time.
It was tough, and it still is. But I'm grateful for those 4 days. I know those four days can't make up for a lifetime of almost no contact with family. But it was worth the shot.

Life is good. Even when it's bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment