25 December 2011

Glory to God in the highest

I


I sit here, struggling to put how my heart feels to words. To put how my heart feels into coherent thoughts. It's much harder than it sounds. 


Christmas. What IS Christmas? What has Christmas been to me? Is that different from how it is now?


I haven't paid much attention to the season, not really a grinch. I love Christmas time. I love the season of giving. I love the magical feeling of Christmas. I love the Spirit of Christ. But this Christmas season as passed me by, and as I watched it pass, I felt like if I could just try a little harder, I could actually catch up with it. To no avail. Then as I sat here realizing that it is Christmas Eve! And while it is widely accepted that Christ wasn't born in December, we choose this time to celebrate His birth. It hit me pretty hard, Christ was born! Jesus lived! 


an Angel appeared to the shepherds and did, in reality tell them, "Fear not: for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy" ... and "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."


I think of Mary, and wonder how she must of felt as she fed her baby. The Son of God. I think of her as she raised him. Did she feel inadequate? Did she feel overwhelmed? Did she know the miracles her son would perform? 


I wish I could adequately describe that Spirit associated with this holiday. The Savior of all mankind was born. And for what purpose was he born, but to die for us? But to give us a second birth. To see us again. He extends the mercy, so that through the eternal acts of Justice, we might still join Him again. HE meets the demands of Justice on our behalf, and for that reason, HE alone can provide us with mercy. On His terms, His generous terms. 


Tiding of Great Joy indeed. 


Today is Christmas. And the Spirit of Christ is strong. Glory be to God in the highest. 




"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."

No comments:

Post a Comment