22 May 2013

Saying Goodbye

As the months dwindle, the days count down and the hours melt away the goodbyes keep stacking.

Some for friends who have gone home for the summer, some who are headed elsewhere to find gainful employment for the summer. Some have moved, some are travelling.

I am really really bad at goodbye. I am really bad at articulating all that I want people to know.

Today I found out that a friend of mine was killed in a car accident last night. He leaves behind his daughter and wife. His wife and I were coworkers once upon a time. On top of having to then work, today was a pretty rough day.

Nevertheless, there were several tender mercies that helped to keep me going today:

* Eammonn kindly bought my lunch. Tokyo joe's. Yum.
*EMS week spoils - BBQ at OPS today where we all sat around and man, my ribs hurt from laughing
*Forget-me-nots at station one. They always remind me of the quote from Pres. Uchtdorf, 'This is a paradox of man; that without God, man is nothing. But man is everything to God.' Sometimes I need the reminder that I matter to Him.
*We ran a psych patient to the jail. This guy had caused problems for absolutely everyone else. PD insisted that he remain restrained and hobbled on our pram. Yet he was kind and polite with me the whole time.
* I got a compliment from a coworker that I looked nice. I don't get compliments often and I was feeling really frumpy and awkward.
* I'm finally not overdrawn! That was causing ulcers and sleepless nights! It'll be weeks before I can go grocery shopping, but I'm not about to get hunted down for being overdrawn.
* Eammonn brought me downton abbey to watch over the weekend. Poor guy is stuck with me for 48 hours a week. And he is always doing super kind things for me, taking calls, buying lunch and lending me the discs for my latest addiction TV shows. What an evidence to me that God loves me, to have put such kind hearted and generous people in my life.

Even when my heart is heavy, and all I want is a hug; I am grateful to recognize such big blessings in my day.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.10

No comments:

Post a Comment